We have two wonderful facilitators who were speaking with him and asking him if he still wants a family. After some talking back and forth he said, "No."
He was told since he is such a good writer of stories, he could apply to a theater college in Kiev. We were also informed that he lived with his mother up until five years ago when her rights were terminated and he was sent to the orphanage.
Mark looked at him, and through Mark's voice the Holy Spirit spoke. I can't tell you what all he said, but I sat and cried. It was perfect, right from the Lord. He spoke of family and how we had crossed the ocean because we heard Jonathan wanted a family and we would like him to be a part of our family. Oh, I wish I could remember all the wording. Jonathan hung his head down and asked if he could leave for a few minutes. We could tell he was about ready to cry. He came back and said, no, he didn't want to be adopted. Before we left the room Mark and I laid hands on him and prayed blessing over his life.
We got up and left the room because his answer was no. I can't describe how my heart broke for him. You could see the confusion in his eyes and the uncertainty of it all. Mark, myself and the facilitator were all broken for this young boy and the decision he was making.
When we turned and looked back into the room, Jonathan had his head in his hands not knowing what to do. You see, he has to sign a paper stating he either wants or doesn't want a family. He was supposed to write that he didn't want a family and there he sat without picking up the pen.
Mark and I have earnestly prayed and sought the Lord about all this before we even got here. We knew the chance we were taking. But this isn't about us! It's about a young boy's life. We want Jonathan to WANT to come home with us, otherwise it's not going to work. So we stood in that hallway praying the Lord would intercede.
The door closed and we started to leave when the director stopped us and asked us to come back in. Jonathan couldn't say "no" right now. He asked if we would be willing to stay a couple of days so he could make his decision. Absolutely!! We walked out and he came out a couple seconds later, walked up to Mark and hugged him. I knew right then, he needs a daddy. (a mama, too, but he doesn't know it yet. ;) )
Prayer request is: let his yes be yes or his no be no. We have to have a definite answer on Friday. He could say "yes" and change his mind after court while we are waiting for the court decree. We are hoping that doesn't happen. Mark and I truly love this boy.
Our driver needed to run back into town, so Mark and I and our facilitator went out into the courtyard to sit on a bench and Jonathan was out there. We smiled and nodded to him and he went back into the orphanage. We walked all the way to the other side of the courtyard to sit. We had been there about ten minutes when I looked up and saw Jonathan coming toward us. He came and sat down next to me. It surprised all of us. He sat there the whole time we were waiting for our driver.
Mark's and my prayer right now, if you will be praying with us, is that what the caregivers, friends and any negative influence is speaking into Jonathan, that it will be like gravel in their mouths. They can't even get the negative words out. And that Andrey's (that is his real name) heart will be in the right place. We want what is best for him and we are hoping that is us.